Q: Electrical problem, shuts down when I turn the key

I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with 31,000 miles that will randomly shut down and not start when I turn the key in the ignition. It went a step farther the other day when the doors wouldn’t even unlock! Losing my mode of transportation has made me very unreliable, so I need to solve this problem soon! What can I do?

Having a car that won’t start or unlock can be frustrating. Since you might have two or three different concerns, I will answer them in order that they were presented.

Let’s start with the car randomly shutting down. Does your car immediately shut down after power up or does it shut off when you come to a stop? More information will be needed. Regarding the doors not unlocking, were you using the remote or a key? Once you were able to unlock the doors using the key, did the vehicle start? If your car started and the doors were able to lock/unlock using the power door lock switch or the auto lock feature (if your car has it), then the best course of action would be to replace the battery in the remote. If that does not work, then have the remote itself inspected. The battery holder in the remote sometimes may have a poor connection to the circuit board. If the doors lock/unlock after the battery replacement, then issue is solved. If the car didn’t start, was dead, and needed to be jumped, the charging system and battery will need to be checked. Finally, regarding the car randomly not starting, try starting your car in neutral (keep foot on brake for safety). If the car starts in neutral, you might have a failing neutral safety switch in the parked position. If this is the case, Hyundai has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 12-AT-022-1 to repair this concern. A certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can help [diagnose your car not starting](https://www.yourmechanic.com/book/?mktg_jid=331, and any information you provide will assist them.

3. Electrical problem, shuts down when I turn the key