Advice on buying an 'O6 Lexus with a rebuilt transmission...

Q: Advice on buying an 'O6 Lexus with a rebuilt transmission

asked by on June 09, 2016

I'm looking to buy a used '06 Lexus GS300 with 163,000 miles on it. How long does the rebuilt transmission last from a tranny shop versus the dealer? In the shop they replaced the tranny with one with 110k miles. Should I be concerned?

It depends on whose shop it is and what kind of work they do. That said, I’ve read an article the other day that 33 % of automatic transmission rebuilds done in the North America had to be done two or three times more because it wasn’t done right the first time. If you really want the transmission done right, you are best to buy a factory rebuilt. That’s what the dealers normally do. The dealers nowadays don’t rebuild transmissions at all. They just buy factory rebuilt transmissions and then install it in the car. That’s of course the best way to go in any particular situation unless you know a great shop.