Q: A mechanic is trying to tell me my rear brake pads are electronically controlled and will cost no less then $116 for 2 rear pads?

asked by on February 15, 2018

I personally have never heard that you need to hook a car up to a computer to change rear brake pads. Last time I checked the only thing electronically controlled was the parking brake. This is the same mechanic that charged $100 just for an oil change after they gave me a $67 estimate for. Are they trying to take advantage of my little to no experience with cars or do some Volvos actually have an electronic braking system? I would have no problem buying regular brake pads and changing them myself. I've done it once before. They also said that the two break pads would cost no less than about $116 when I bought brake pads and disks for a previous car I hardly spent that much. I did buy the cheap ones but they worked perfectly fine. So are the brake pads as easy to change as most cars? Or is the computer necessary?

The rear brakes are not controlled by computer but the parking brake is and after the rear brakes are replaced the parking brakes need to be reset using a scanner to activate the parking brake reset function and has to be done for the brakes to work correctly.