Q: A hole in number 3 cylinder?

I am looking to purchase a van but was told the motor has a "hole in number 3 cylinder" and that it is a "relatively easy" fix. Having no real knowledge of these things I would really like what exactly is the problem and how much money/work would go into fixing this issue. Any and all information/ advice you could give me would be great!

A: Having a hole in a piston is not an easy fi...

Having a hole in a piston is not an easy fix. The heads would need to be removed and the oil pan removed and then finally the piston removed and replaced. This is only part of the repairs needed. You will need to see if the piston parts damaged the cylinder walls or other engine parts. Once this is done, then you will need to find the reason for the piston damage. This damage happened due to that cylinder running too hot and lean. This can be from injection system problems like incorrect timing or faulty injectors. You may want to try and price a complete used engine and have an engine swap. This could cost an excess of $5000 as an estimate, and it may take some effort before an engine can be found, so take those into consideration.