Q: A/c pulley bypassed Now it has a knocking sound but doesn't sound internal? timing was done at 180k

I bought this car about 1000 miles ago. I know both previous owners. Car was well maintained.

A: Hello there, a variety of faults will cause...

Hello there, a variety of faults will cause a knocking noise in the engine. The most common would be a belt tensioner, idler, engine rods, engine bearings, low oil pressure/level, power steering pump, or alternator. With so many possibilities the best bet would be to have a professional technician such as one from YourMechanic inspect the vehicle for engine noise and proceed from there.