Q: AC compressor failure

I was told by a shop that I would have to replace the condenser and expansion valve as well as the compressor in order to repair my system. They said the condenser replacement was necessary since the drier has to be replaced in a compressor change and it is integrated into the condenser on my model of car and can not be replaced by itself. Is all of this true?

Hello. Yes, all of the things listed are usually recommended when replacing an AC compressor. AC systems are very sealed and pressurized, and taking the precaution to replace the associated components helps prevent any premature failure’s of any sort. The condenser, which does have the receiver drier integrated, can be reused if it is not damaged due to contamination or moisture, though replacing it also would not be a bad idea. Replacing all of these components would cost more, but would help extend the life of the compressor, which is the most important component in the AC system.