Q: O2 sensor code

asked by on April 21, 2017

99 Honda civic hatchback, the car would idol but stall as soon as the gas peddle was pressed. Replaced the idol air control valve then the fuel regulator and it runs again but feels like it's getting too much fuel. It has a loss of power and feels bogged down. There were no codes before but now the o2 sensor code is coming up. I have heard that resetting the ECM could fix this issue because it is still sending fuel like it was before the new fuel regulator and needs to relearn the trim. I was curious if this was true and if resetting the ECM could fix the issue.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement $108.80 - $905.23 Get a Quote

This may be a result of a faulty oxygen sensor. As you may know the oxygen sensors which are part of your emissions system read exhaust gases to determine whether or not the appropriate amount of oxygen is present in the exhaust. Based upon this reading, this information is relayed to the car’s ECU which then makes a determination as to whether or not to add more or less fuel to the engine. When too much or too little oxygen is present, this will cause check engine light to come on. Too much oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas due to things like an exhaust leak, a vacuum leak, a faulty mass air flow sensor (causing a lean fuel condition) or faulty fuel injectors. Too little oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas may be caused by things like a clogged air filter, a failing mass air flow sensor (causing too much fuel to be introduced to the motor), bad fuel injectors or a clogged catalytic converter. When the O2 sensor is not working properly, this will cause false readings to be relayed to the computer causing inaccurate adjustments to be made to the intake and fuel system in your engine, such as causing the engine to run too rich or too lean. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your emissions system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr