Q: 95 camaro shuts off while driving

asked by on September 09, 2017

Basically I already have new spark plugs oil change, fuel filter. Car was driving fine until I drove to work. Car started turning off while driving when that happens car turns off steering wheel locks. Usually it would start back up after I turned the car off and back on. But I got towed recently they let my battery die now car won't start. A jump gets it started but it stills turns off while driving

It sounds like you may have a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.