Q: 73 f100 360 FE lurches then stalls when put in gear

asked by on May 15, 2017

The truck stalls when put in gear, drive or reverse. It's got a brand new carburetor on it, no vacuum leaks, starts right up. It does have exhaust leaks, but this shouldn't affect the problem of it stalling when in gear. Any ideas?

Hi there. Typically when you put the truck in gear and it stalls, it’s caused by a fuel delivery problem; usually a defective fuel pump, dirty fuel filters or a fuel filter installed backwards in some instances. It could also be an ignition system fault, either the rotor in the distributor is worn out, or plugs / plug wires having issues. It might be worth it for you to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a car starts then stalls inspection, so they can pinpoint the source of this issue and complete the right repairs.