Q: 4l60e transmission runs fine until engine warms up then loss of all gears and metal on metal noise from bell housing. What do I do

asked by on August 22, 2017

Having transmission problems, works fine until engine warms up and then total loss of all gears and a metal on metal noise comes from bell housing area, just need to know what broke and if I don't need a whole new transmission. Fluid still looks and smells fine.

Hi Mike. Anytime you hear metal to metal coming from inside the bell housing of an automatic transmission, that’s typically an indication of damage to the torque converter or flywheel. With 300,000+ miles on your Silverado, it’s probably time to have the transmission professionally inspected to determine what repairs are needed. Although one of our mobile mechanics could possibly complete an onsite inspection, it’s less likely that we’d be able to complete repairs, so in this instance, it’s probably best to consult with a transmission specialist.