Q: 3 day old car engine smoking & smell of burnt rubber. Is it burntout clutch?

asked by on August 25, 2017

In start stop traffic jam, gear engaged whole time but clutch fully depressed and car automatic brake on. Breakdown guy reckons burntout clutch due to riding in traffic jam. Been driving 22 years haven't ever had a problem with a clutch before. Could it be anything else? Or do I just need to change my driving style? Car is 3 days old and I've only done 200 miles. I don't keep my foot on the clutch whilst driving, only if it traffic jams or at traffic lights/junctions.

If it’s a new car, and you were using the clutch properly and yet it "failed", that might be a warranty issue. Of course, there are rubber belts and other parts that can fail and smoke. The diagnosis would be aided by getting a general indication of where the smoke was coming from. The bottom line is, if the vehicle is under warranty, and the problem recurs or there is present difficulty with the clutch, you can first have the dealer look at it under warranty. If that is not an option, simply book an appointment with YourMechanic and the responding certified mechanic will resolve this. If you have further questions, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr