Q: 2008 Ford Escape emergency flashers sometimes come on by themselves

asked by on March 18, 2017

2008 Ford Escape. Emergency flashers sometimes come on by themselves. It has happened when the car isn't running (like in my garage) and sometimes it happens when I'm driving. In the past month, it has happened about 20 times. After I hit the button (located on the drive shaft), 90% of the time the flashers stay off. The other 10% of the time, they will come back on after a second or two. I can do this 5-10 times before they will stay off.

My car has 98000 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Considering that most of the time you can utilize the switch to turn off the hazards, the switch is likely to blame. If the switch is what is allowing the power to go to the flasher (which creates the blinking), then the switch has failed and needs to be replaced. The plastic covering on the steering column will need to be removed, and from there the switch is accessible. You may be able to clean the switch instead of replacing it, if it look dirty and contaminated. For more help replacing the switch, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

What others are asking

How do you use the satellite radio menu system?

The menu system in your car’s satellite radio helps you navigate through channels, categories and more. Using it is easy, too. Here’s how: Turn the key on. Turn the audio system on. Press the SIRIUS button. Press the menu...

Car won't stop making noises and jerking .

The rough running circumstance you are describing is often a consequence of multiple faults in ignition, fuel, and air induction, not to mention the possibility of low or uneven cylinder compression. Just as a for instance, you could have uneven...

I recently replaced the battery in my vehicle; after replacing the battery the car horn completely stopped working.

To diagnose this you can check for battery voltage at the horn terminals when you activate the horn button. If voltage is present, the horn is defective. If no voltage is present, trace the circuit back to the battery and...

What should I do if I run out of gas?

While your car is equipped with a couple of different warning systems to alert you to the fact that you’re low on gas, it’s still possible to run out while you’re on the road. In this instance, you’ll have to...

Stalls out while driving, then dies and restarts after trying a few times. Drives for a little then dies again

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I suggest you have the fuel pump checked for loss of pressure. The additive the previous owner added in may have damaged the pump and or the filter. If you first remove the fuel...

Fuel inefficiencies

In order to check your fuel economy you will need to fill your fuel tank completely and zero your trip meter and drive vehicle until you use at least a half tank of fuel and then fill the tank and...

Can't find a ecu.

You can use the engine but you are going to have a hard time getting it to work since the two years are a generation apart when it comes to the computer systems. The 1994 was an OBD1 and the...

Why sometimes car vibrates at low speed?

Hi There, What you are describing is a sign of warped brake rotors. As you may know, when you press on your brake pedal, this activates a hydraulic pressure which forces small pistons inside your brake calipers to push the...

Right front brake pads worn more than left ones

You've got a Mustang. You're probably driving and braking pretty fast. The right brakes, on most people's cars always wear out faster than the left ones. This is because when you are driving fast, and when you make a left...

Related articles

2012 Honda Civic vs. 2012 Ford Focus: Which One Should I Buy?
One of the best ways to cope with pain at the gas pump is to look at downsizing your vehicle, and today’s compact cars are a great option that allow you to keep the space that you need to move...
A Buyer’s Guide to the 2012 Ford F-350
With With Ford’s stiffest chassis to date, the 2012 F-350 is one of the most reliable heavy-duty pickup trucks on the market today. With the quiet cabin and plush ride, though, you’ll feel like you’re driving in the comfort of...
The Best Used Cars to Buy If Your Kid's On the Soccer Team
If If you are a soccer mom (or dad), you know that you need a lot of space to transport your budding World Cup contenders, along with their gear. From time to time, you can also expect to be bringing...