Q: 2008 Ford Escape emergency flashers sometimes come on by themselves

asked by on March 18, 2017

2008 Ford Escape. Emergency flashers sometimes come on by themselves. It has happened when the car isn't running (like in my garage) and sometimes it happens when I'm driving. In the past month, it has happened about 20 times. After I hit the button (located on the drive shaft), 90% of the time the flashers stay off. The other 10% of the time, they will come back on after a second or two. I can do this 5-10 times before they will stay off.

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Considering that most of the time you can utilize the switch to turn off the hazards, the switch is likely to blame. If the switch is what is allowing the power to go to the flasher (which creates the blinking), then the switch has failed and needs to be replaced. The plastic covering on the steering column will need to be removed, and from there the switch is accessible. You may be able to clean the switch instead of replacing it, if it look dirty and contaminated. For more help replacing the switch, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.