Q: 2006 5.4l f150, ac clutch steady ticking when engaged, seems to speed up with acceleration but disappears at speed.

Steady ticking noise from ac compressor/clutch when clutch engages. Seems to speed up when accelerating but then goes away. Ac is very cold and charged appropriately. The ticking is not the typical engaging/disengaging periodically. Cannot hear it in the cab but it is very noticeable outside of the cab and is only present when the ac is on. Other than that the truck runs like a champ.

Hi there. This type of ticking noise when the AC is active is common with bearings from the pulley system attached to the compressor starting to fail. It is possible to replace the AC compressor pulley and repair damage to bearings if found early enough, but if the issue continues without repair, you’ll have to replace the AC compressor. It might be best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection to verify where the noise is coming from to be 100 percent certain.

3. 2006 5.4l f150, ac clutch steady ticking when engaged, seems to speed up with acceleration but disappears at speed.