Q: Brake rotors

Hello I'm a danzel in distress, I bought a used 2005 chevy equinox with 140,000 miles on it less than 2 weeks ago from a fly by night dealer, no warranty wit the truck. I noticed yesterday while driving a burning oil smell n every time I went to break it felt hard n wud shake. Luckily my uncle is pretty handy wit cars the min I pulled up he smelt it n knew what it was. He took the hose n poured water on the driver side wheel n smoke just began coming out like crazy, so he figured it was the caliber. I bought a new caliber, he put it on n instantly I could feel the difference. Breaking was so much smoother, the shaking stopped n the smell went away. Up until this afternoon! The same thing is happening on the the same side n it's a brand new caliper. The smell, the harsh shaking n I can actually see the waves of heat coming off that front right wheel. As my uncle changed the caliper he said the breaks where descent prob should change them in 2 months. So it's not the breaks, any advice

Hi There, It sounds like you may have some warped brake rotors that may be causing the vibration and excessive heat to be generated by the calipers when you use the brakes. When you press on your brake pedal, this activates a hydraulic pressure which forces small pistons inside your brake calipers to push the brake pads against the brake rotors which is what causes the stopping power you are familiar with when pressing your brake pedal. When this happens, an enormous amount of heat is generated due to the friction between the brake pads and rotors. The brake rotors eventually cool down and then heat up again the next time you press on the brakes. Over time this can cause them to warp slightly causing very small low spots on the surface of the brake rotor. When this happens and the brake pads are applied again to the rotors, this causes an uneven surface (on the rotor) to be applied to the flat surface brake pad, which can cause a vibration, shaking or very loud grinding sound. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your brake rotors.

3. Brake rotors