Q: To replace a fuel filter or not ? Vehicle had no fuel when bought; added fuel & it started, but should the filter be changed...

asked by on April 28, 2017

Purchased used car; tried to start but had no fuel; added a few gallons and engine runs great. Question is: to replace fuel filter now (thinking sediment in fuel tank may clog filter), or not..I have not looked to see if filter in place is the original, but would presume so. I am hoping the tank will not need to be cleaned. Thank you.

Fuel Filter Replacement $83.13 - $270.56 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Your head is in the right place. While gas these days is held to some better standards, its very possible to collect debris in the tank over time. Considering the mileage on the vehicle, replacing the fuel filter is a great idea anyway, and you should definitely do so. They are quick and easy to do, but you need to be careful with the fuel lines. Also make sure you install the filter in the correct direction. If your fuel pump is original, then you may want to consider replacing it as well. Running a vehicle to empty can hurt the pump. It is also a great time to inspect the tank for debris. For more help replacing either fuel component, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.