Q: What type of spark plugs should I use?

What type of spark plugs should I use?

A: Spark plugs might not be the first thing yo...

Spark plugs might not be the first thing you think about when it comes to engine performance, but they should be close to the top of that list. They’re essential – without operable spark plugs, your engine has no way to combust gasoline. Spark plugs do just what the name implies. They “spark” to ignite gasoline fumes and power your engine. Over time, those plugs wear out and you’ll need to replace them. It’s important that you’re able to have them replaced with the right type, though. Here’s what you need to know:

• Only use iridium tipped spark plugs. Those are the only type your car is rated to use.

• DENSO is the recommended brand from the automaker. Other brands can be used, though.

Tips

• Never attempt to gap an iridium-tipped spark plug.

• For 2.5-liter engines, DENSO SK16HR11 plugs are recommended.

• For 3.5-liter engines, DENSO FK20HR11 plugs are recommended.

• Only use iridium-tipped plugs. Failure to do so can result in reduced engine performance and other problems.