Q: 2004 Ford Escape, Sluggish acceleration, RPM racing up to mid 4000-5000 before shifting

My 2004 Ford Escape, 4WD, V6, after fueling up. The acceleration became very sluggish. The RPM's will now race up to mid 4000 - 5000 RPM before finally shifting. The 2004 Ford escape will top out at 65mph and be sluggish. the normal RPM shifting in over-drive are high 2000-3000. I was firsting it needs fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner fuel additive. Before considering an EGR valvue problem, since there is no visable hole, or hissing coming from arounf the EGR value.

It started after I fueled up a full tank of gas with 87 octane fuel from a gas station I never fulled up at before.

No I have not currently serviced my 2004 Ford Escape, after these symptoms started. I was going to service the oil change, and all filters myself. But to date I have not started the change the fuel, air and fuel filters.

Hi Grant. Thanks for contacting us tonight. It is quite possible that you’ve got multiple issues here. Typically, dirty transmission fluid will cause the shifting issues you’re describing or debris trapped inside the inner hydraulic lines of the transmission. In some cases, a transmission fluid flush and filter change can resolve this issue. However, the risk to doing this is if inner seals are worn out, it can cause damage to the seals. The EGR valve issue could also cause reduced acceleration, but so could dirty fuel injectors, throttle body, mass air flow sensor, fuel filters and more. Routine service and maintenance is important to complete and can resolve some issues, so I would recommend completing the service you planned to see if these issues resolve themselves.

3. 2004 Ford Escape, Sluggish acceleration, RPM racing up to mid 4000-5000 before shifting