Q: 2001 Ford expedition is stuck in 3rd and gear shifter moving freely

My expedition is stuck in 3rd andcthe gear shifter moves freely back and forth inside what coukd cause this

You may have a broken or disconnected shift cable at bottom of steering column or at transmission. Look under dash at bottom of steering column to see if shift cable are came loose from bottom of column. The screws that hold lever come loose and fall out. Just reattach it and it should fix issue.

3. 2001 Ford expedition is stuck in 3rd and gear shifter moving freely