Q: 1997 jeep cherokee 4.0 was cranking no start then had difficulty then stopped cranking.

The car would not start. The tow truck operator did something to the starter and it cranked but no start. There is fuel pressure . I checked fuses. I replaced the ASD relay. code reader P1389 no auto shut down output voltage at powertrain control module. It was cranking with no start. I put in a new throttle position sensor. When I tried to start it seemed to be jammed and barely cranked then shut down and would not crank.

If it is not cranking now, the battery could be dead and/or the starter motor has overheated. Starters draw a lot of current and so run time has to be kept to a minimum. As far as the earlier no start, you should check for a spark at the spark plugs. If no spark, sometimes the crankshaft position sensor can fail on this vehicle and the code P1389 is just an artifact of that particular failure. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get your car running again quickly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. 1997 jeep cherokee 4.0 was cranking no start then had difficulty then stopped cranking.