Q: Noice with new rotors/pads

asked by on October 24, 2017

With new slotted and dimpled rotors and new ceramic pads from Brake Performance ...when I break hard at higher speeds (50+ mph) I get an annoying humming sound until the speed is significantly deduced. What is going on?

Squealing noise from brakes Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The noise may be due to interaction between the pads and the rotor "design" that sets up a harmonic at particular speeds. OEM pads and rotors are already designed, tested and approved as matched materials in order to avoid the possibility of brake noise and vibration. Other possible causes of your issue are thickness variation in the rotor (can’t exceed .001 inches) or run out of the rotor as installed on the hub (can’t exceed .002 inches). It is also possible that the caliper pistons are cocked or not free in the bores. If the noise does happens to arise from the brake pad material interacting with the rotor, really the only solution is to remove the pads and install OEM friction material and OEM rotors. If you would like a diagnostic regarding this issue, to determine if the cause is vehicle hardware versus brake consumables such as pads and rotors, please request a brake noise diagnostic and a certified mechanic will be dispatched by YourMechanic to evaluate your brakes and address all of your concerns.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr