Q: 1996 Ford Crown Victoria overheated and now won't start

Car turns over, but won't start. It overheated and now it won't start.

Sounds like your Crown Victoria is having a hard time. While being able to turn over but not start is one thing, overheating is another.

Overheating in a car is never a good thing. When engine temperatures reach that high, serious damage can occur. Overheating in the engine can lead to the spark plugs getting damaged, which would definitely cause the vehicle to not start afterward. An engine needs four things to start efficiently; fuel, spark, air and compression. If the spark plugs are damaged by overheating, they cannot provide the spark needed. Many other parts of the engine can also be damaged by overheating.

Because these issues can be the start of several different things, it’s recommended to have a certified mechanic inspect and diagnose the starting system of your Crown Victoria. They have the experience and tools to determine why the vehicle isn’t starting, why it is overheating and what damage, if any, occurred due to the vehicle overheating.