Q: Cruise control shut off when I was traveling down the highway. Now it won't turn on.

Cruise control shut off when I was traveling down the highway. Now it won't turn on.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. In most cases, t...

Hi, thanks for writing in. In most cases, the issue you’re describing is caused by a problem with either the cruise control brake switch (on an automatic transmission like your Durango) or the cruise control switch on the steering wheel assembly itself. The cruise control brake switch is located above your brake pedal and sometimes becomes contaminated with dirt and debris which can cause the circuit to stay open; which disables the system. If you have a digital scanner, you can download error codes and this should pinpoint the source of your cruise control problems. If not, consider contacting one of our local ASE certified mechanics come directly to your office or home for you to complete that test for you and inspect your cruise control system. We will look at the system for you, and we will make or suggest any repairs you may need, such as replacing your cruise control brake release switch.