Q: 1995 Camry V6 sometimes won't stay running

For whatever reason, after I do a lot of driving and the engine is very warm and I shut the car off, and then come back after 20-30 minutes and try to start it, it starts up right away but then immediately shuts off. If I try starting it again, it will do the same thing: start up and then almost immediately die. Only solution is to start it and hold the RPM's at 2k for about 20 seconds until it runs without stalling. - Whenever this happens, I hear a gurgling noise from the rear. It's odd because it occurs randomly and not often. It's just very concerning.

There are quite a few potential causes of the hard start scenario you present, but the fact that you can get the engine to run so long as you maintain high "idle", thus perhaps stabilizing fuel supply, makes me think this might be a fuel system problem and more specifically plugged fuel injectors. If it were my car, given the mileage and age, prior to performing a diagnostic I would remove the fuel injectors from the fuel rail and send them out to a lab (Mr. Injector is an example but there are many others; Mr. Injector has proven to be reliable) where the internal, miniature filter baskets in each injector are pulled and replaced and the injectors are cleaned ultrasonically on a machine and flow tested. Once that step is performed, which is frankly required maintenance at this point given the age of the car, you can re-evaluate the situation. On car cleaning of injectors by the way is relatively ineffectual because each injector has its own internal filter and cleaning of course does not "replace" a potentially plugged filter. Although the "likely" cause of the hard starting can be pinpointed prior to cleaning the injectors, my thought on this is you should do the cleaning anyway and it will foreshorten any additional diagnostics, if required. If you want either a diagnostic, or the services required to get the injectors properly removed, serviced, and then reinstalled or both a diagnostic and injector servicing, please request a hard starting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get his resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. 1995 Camry V6 sometimes won't stay running