Q: .can the clutch on a.c. compressor freeze up taking out serpentine belt, and a.c. compressor be ok

asked by on October 14, 2016

serpentine belt eaten, pulley on compressor won't turn. Can it be as simple as a.c. compressor clutch?

As you may know the AC Clutch is the pulley that spins with the Belt. There are two ports on the rear of the Compressor. One is a Suction Port and the other is the Discharge Port. The Suction port is going to be your larger port and the Discharge port is going to be the smaller port. Refrigerant is sucked into the Suction port, compressed and then it exits out the Discharge Port, then entering the A/C Condenser. Your vehicle’s AC Clutch consists of the Hub, the Pulley, and the coil. The front part of the A/C Clutch is the Hub. Next is the pulley, which is where the belt rides. Finally, under the pulley is the coil, also called a field coil. The Coil is a copper would wire, that functions like a magnetic coil. If the AC Compressor is powered up, electricity engages the coil, and when this happens, it also engages the pulley. When the AC clutch seizes, this is plenty of force and power to chew up the belt in no time. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to take a look at your AC system and repair it.