Q: '08 Audi A6 - Will not start, stuck in park, tires locked...help!

I pulled my Audi into my garage yesterday. When I came out the car wouldn't start. Called AAA, battery is fine. Car will not shift out of park. I hit the manual release, put in neutral, but the tires are locked up. I had it towed to my local Audi repair shop. They've never seen anything like this. The dash lights come on. The key will lock/unlock the doors. Any idea on what could be the problem?

Hello there. On most modern cars, including your 2008 Audi, there are a series of safety switches that disable the starter or ignition system. Two of these are located under the shifter and the brake pedal. If the switch has failed, it will cause the car not to start. If the tires are locked, but the shifter can move to neutral manually, it is likely the linkage is damaged. It might be a good idea for the mechanics to inspect the linkage physically and also download any stored error codes to see if an electrical fault exists.

3. '08 Audi A6 - Will not start, stuck in park, tires locked...help!