$125.02 - $443.96
P001C code definition
This trouble code signifies that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected that the camshaft profile control circuit in bank 1 is running high. Bank 1 refers to the side of the engine that contains the number one cylinder.
What the P001C code means
This storage of a P001C trouble code is an indicator that the camshaft and crankshaft signals are out of sync. "A" camshaft valves are responsible for providing gas to the cylinder, and when this process gets out of sync it can cause problems within the engine, leading to the storage of a P001C trouble code and the illumination of the Check Engine light.
What causes the P001C code?
Some of the more common causes of the storage of a P001C trouble code includes a timing chain that needs adjustment or replacement and damaged or faulty wiring. In addition, a defective camshaft or crankshaft sensor can also cause the PCM to store this code.
What are the symptoms of the P001C code?
Symptoms common to a P001C trouble code include sluggish engine performance, a lack of power, and in some cases a no-start condition. Some other symptoms include misfires and a rough running engine, especially while accelerating.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P001C code?
When diagnosing a P001C trouble code, a mechanic needs an advanced scanner, timing light, and a digital volt/ohm meter. The mechanic also needs to perform the following:
- Carefully inspect the wiring, connectors, and components associated with the camshaft profile control circuit for bank 1 of the engine.
- The mechanic should then download all freeze frame data and stored trouble codes before clearing the code and testing the system.
- If the code returns, the mechanic should test the voltage and ground signal of the camshaft and crankshaft sensor using a digital volt/ohm meter.
- If no voltage or signal are detected, the mechanic needs to disconnect the PCM and any related modules and test the continuity of the camshaft profile control circuit, the camshaft sensor, and the crankshaft sensor.
- If the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, and the camshaft profile control circuit all check out as good, the mechanic should check out the timing chain, using a timing chain light, to see if it needs adjustment.
- The mechanic should also check for wear of the timing chain to determine if it needs replacing.
- If the timing belt checks out as okay, the mechanic should check the condition of the timing belt tensioner.
- The mechanic should next clear the code and retest the system to see if the condition returns.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P001C code
Mechanics most often make the mistake of replacing the camshaft sensor without checking the condition of the timing chain or belt first. This can lead to a misdiagnosis if the belt or chain is faulty, leading to the code persisting and the problem remaining.
How serious is the P001C code?
The storage of a P001C trouble code is serious in the aspect that the conditions related to the code affect how the engine starts and runs. This is especially true when dealing with the poor acceleration that often accompanies a P001C code, which can affect vehicle safety when driving.
What repairs can fix the P001C code?
To fix a P001C trouble code could require the following repairs:
- The mechanic should replace any faulty or damaged wiring, connectors, or components they find during their initial inspection.
- If upon further inspection, the mechanic finds that the camshaft and crankshaft sensors are faulty, they should replace one or both.
- The mechanic should also adjust or replace the timing chain or belt as necessary.
- And, they should replace or repair the timing belt tensioner if it is faulty.
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P001C code
Keep in mind that vehicle timing issues are often complex and hard to fix. That is why you should rely on an expert mechanic to make sure the timing of your vehicle is properly set.
Need help with a P001C code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.
Schedule Brake Pad Replacement
The most popular service booked by readers of this article is Brake Pad Replacement. Yourmechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7 days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 10k cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews... LEARN MORESEE PRICING & SCHEDULING