How to Transfer a Car Title in New Hampshire

Car titles are designed to prove ownership of the vehicle in question. The person (or persons) named on the title owns the vehicle. When that ownership changes, either through buying or selling, or through gifting or inheriting, the title must be changed to reflect the new ownership situation. This is a title transfer, and you’ll need to know how to transfer a car title in New Hampshire.

Information for New Hampshire buyers

For those in the state buying a car from a private seller, there are a few steps that must be completed before you can be legally considered the vehicle’s owner. You’ll need to:

  • Sign the title with the seller.
  • If the vehicle is exempt from having a title, you’ll need a bill of sale from the seller.
  • Have the VIN verified.
  • Have proof of insurance.
  • Get a lien release from the seller.
  • Bring all this information, as well as your driver’s license, to the county clerk’s office. You’ll need to pay $25 for the title transfer. You’ll also need to pay the registration fees, which include both state and city fees and can vary from under $30 to over $60 depending on the number of fees and their amounts.

Common mistakes

  • Not having the seller sign the back of the title

Information for New Hampshire sellers

If you’re selling a car in New Hampshire, you have to follow some simple steps to ensure that the buyer can get the title transferred to their name.

  • Make sure to complete and sign the title.
  • Make sure to provide a bill of sale if the car is exempt from having a title.
  • If the car is exempt from having a title, you’ll also need either a VIN verification or a copy of the current registration.

Common Mistakes

  • Not signing the title

For inheriting or gifting a car in New Hampshire

New Hampshire makes gifting a vehicle relatively simple. The process is the same as outlined above, but you’ll need to provide proof of a relationship if the transfer is within the family to avoid paying sales tax.

The process followed for inheriting a vehicle is similar to that outlined above, but there are some differences. For instance, you’ll need:

  • Proof of inheritance (a copy of the will, for instance)
  • A signed title certificate (the executor must sign)
  • A death certificate to prove death of the previous owner

For more information about how to transfer a car title in New Hampshire, visit the state’s DMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Rules of the Road For New Hampshire Drivers
If If you have a valid driver’s license chances are, you’re very familiar with the traffic laws in your home state as well as those that remain the same from one location to the next. While there are many road...
Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in New Hampshire
In In the state of New Hampshire, the DMV issues special permits to people who have permanent or temporary disabilities. If you live in New Hampshire, you could be entitled to a license plate or placard that lets you use...
How to Prepare for the New Hampshire Driver’s Written Test
If If you are thinking about getting your license in New Hampshire, it is important to understand what it is going to take. In addition to being the right age, you also need to make sure you can pass your...

Related questions

Recieved the signed title but no bill of sale after purchasing a car
no charge for this answer: If the seller has signed over the vehicle to you, by conveying the ORIGINAL title (that is by signing the title over to you) you should not need additional "proof" of sale. The "conveyed" title...
What is the name of the liquid for the radiator?
The coolant this vehicle uses is called HOAT or Hybrid Organic Additive Technology. This coolant is supposed to be good for 5 years / 100,000 miles. If you are overheating then you will need to have the system tested by...
My car won’t accelerate passed 20mph but the RPM accelerated all the way to 7 or higher . One day my heat went out
If engine speed is steadily increasing but the car is not travelling faster, there is something amiss with the transmission. Perhaps the transmission is not shifting out of the low gears. The recommended service to get the underlying fault pinpointed...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·