Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in New Hampshire

In the state of New Hampshire, the DMV issues special permits to people who have permanent or temporary disabilities. If you live in New Hampshire, you could be entitled to a license plate or placard that lets you use handicapped parking spaces.

Types of permits

In New Hampshire, you can get a disability placard that you hang from your rear view mirror. You can get one if you are permanently disabled, or temporarily disabled. License plates are available only to people who are permanently disabled.

Both the plates and placards allow you to park in spots that are only for disabled people. You can park free anywhere in New Hampshire. Keep in mind, though, that if you allow anyone else to use your plate or placard, you are in violation of the law and could be fined.

Applying for a plate or placard

If you are applying for a handicapped plate or placard in the state of New Hampshire, you will have to complete a New Hampshire Application for Walking Disability Privileges (Form RDMV130). Your application will have to include a letter from your doctor stating that you are entitled to these parking privileges, and you will also have to include applicable fees with your application.

You can send your application to the address on the form, or bring it to the New Hampshire DMV office.


Permits and plates for disabled motorists are valid only for certain periods. A temporary placard is only good for six months, because a temporary disability is exactly that - temporary. A permanent placard is good for five years, or when your driver’s license expires. License plates are good for as long as your vehicle is registered, and can be renewed at the same time as you renew your vehicle registration.

When your permit or license expires, you will have to renew it. You will have to provide medical certification again, the same way as you did when you first applied for your special permit.

Lost or stolen permits

If your handicap permit is lost or stolen, then you will have to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles by mail in order to have it replaced. You will need to provide them with your name, date of birth, address and phone number. If you have your placard number, then you should include that as well. Mail the letter to:

NH Department of Safety
DMV - Registration
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Upon receipt and verification, the Department of Motor Vehicles for the state of New Hampshire will replace your placard.

As a resident of the state of New Hampshire, and as a person with a disability, you have the right to park in places that are convenient to you. You are required by law, though, to ensure that you have certain permits in place, and you may not allow anyone else to use those permits. Doing so violates the law, and you could be subject to penalties.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Massachusetts
Every Every state has its own unique rules and guidelines for disabled drivers. It is important that you familiarize yourself with the laws not only for the state in which you live, but for any states that you might visit...
Disability Driver Laws and Permits in Missouri
Even Even if you are not a disabled driver, it is important to familiarize yourself with the disabled driver laws in your state. Missouri, as is true of all states, has very specific guidelines for what disabled drivers. How do...
How to Get a Colorado Driver's Permit
Colorado Colorado has strict laws regarding driver’s license eligibility. All drivers in Colorado must obtain a learner’s permit, and drive with that permit, while they are under 21 years old. In order to obtain a driver’s permit, there are certain...

Related questions

Hesitation when the 1999 Honda Civic Sedan goes downhill
Going downhill? That's interesting for this. Normally, they get problems when you are going uphill. If it's hesitating going downhill and it's not doing it when it goes uphill, unfortunately on that, if you have automatic transmission, it can be...
Spilled drink on my gear shifter on my Toyota RAV4 2015 model, need some help in taking it apart and removing it to clean it
Hi there. We really don't have a service for this particular application quite yet - but, we might be able to help you. There are two options to consider. First, you can purchase a service and repair manual that should...
Reverse gear wont work but other gears work.
Hello, thank you for writing in. Losing reverse can happen for a wide number of reasons. To simplify things, start with a full inspection. This will include checking the level and condition of the transmission fluid. If it is low...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 · hi@yourmechanic.com