The title to your vehicle is an incredibly important document. You’ll need it in order to register your car if you move to another state, but you’ll also need it if you ever decide to sell the car. If your title has been lost, stolen or damaged, you’re at a significant disadvantage. Thankfully, the state of Alaska makes it pretty simple to get a duplicate title to replace the lost one.
In the state of Alaska, you have a couple of different options for replacing a lost or stolen car title. You can apply in person, by mail, or in some cases, with a handwritten note, although you’ll need to follow some specific steps for that last one.
To replace a lost or stolen car title in person:
- Go to your local DMV office
- Complete Form 809 (Affidavit of Lost, Stolen or Destroyed Title) while being witnessed by a DMV employee
- If necessary, provide proof of the release of the lien on the car
- Pay the fee ($15 per title, payable with cash, check, money order or credit/debit card in most instances)
To replace a lost or stolen car title by mail:
- Complete Form 809 and have it notarized (you can download it from the DMV website and print it at home)
- Mail the form, as well as any other pertinent information (lien release, for instance) to the address below:
State of Alaska
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W. Benson Blvd
Anchorage, AK 99503
- Include the $15 fee
To replace a lost or stolen car title if you have no computer and cannot reach a DMV office, you can apply for a duplicate title with a handwritten note.
- Print your name clearly
- Include the VIN
- Describe the car
- State why you need a replacement title (lost, stolen, damaged, etc.)
- Sign the note and have it notarized
- Include the $15 fee
- Mail the note to the same address as used for mail-in title duplications.
For more information, see the Alaska DMV website.
Schedule Oil Change
The most popular service booked by readers of this article is Oil Change. YourMechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 2,000 cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews... LEARN MORESEE PRICING & SCHEDULING