Many drivers are constantly on the lookout for ways to improve their car in any way possible. One such way is with customization and personalization. A personalized license plate can be a great way to add customization to a car, as it gives drivers the opportunity to share a unique message at the front and back of their vehicle.
In Alaska, ordering a personalized license plate also means getting to choose a license plate design. That, coupled with the customized message, means that your car can be truly unique when it comes to the license plates. And thankfully, ordering personalized license plates in Alaska is relatively easy.
Part 1 of 3: Choose your personalized license plates
Step 1: Go to the Alaska DMV website. Visit the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles website.
Step 2: Go to the personalized plates page. Visit the personalized plates page of the Alaska DMV website.
From the main page, click “Personalized plates” from the dropdown menu titled “License plates”.
- Tip: While on the personalized plates page, be sure to review all of the information on the left sidebar about personalized license plates.
Step 3: Choose a plate design. Choose a design for your personalized license plates.
Click on whichever of the 13 license plate designs you like the most to select it.
- Tip: It is smart to think about the license plate design for a while before choosing one, to make sure that you select a plate you are very happy with.
Step 4: Choose a plate message. Choose what you want your license plate to say.
Type the message in the box at the top of the page.
- Tip: Your license plate message can have a minimum of two characters and a maximum of six characters. You can use letters, numbers, and spaces.
Step 5: Check the plate availability. Check to see if your license plate message is available.
After choosing a message, click on the “Check availability” button to see if the plate message is available. If it is not, keep trying new messages until you find one that is available.
Part 2 of 3: Order your personalized license plates
Step 1: Fill out your basic information. Fill out the basic information on the form.
Once you find an available license plate message, you will be taken to a form. Fill out the basic information, such as your name and registration renewal number.
- Tip: Your registration renewal number can be found on your registration card.
Step 2: Finish the application and pay. Finish filling out the application and pay the fee.
Follow the steps to finish the personalized license plate application, and then pay the fee. This fee varies depending on which license plate design you chose, and what kind of vehicle you have.
- Tip: You will have to pay the personalized plate fee with a credit or debit card.
Part 3 of 3: Install your personalized license plates
Step 1: Receive your plates. Receive your plates in the mail about three months after ordering them.
Step 2: Install your plates. Install the personalized plates on your vehicle.
If you don’t feel comfortable installing the personalized plates on your car by yourself, then you can hire a mechanic to help you out.
- Tip: After installing your new license plates, make sure to add your current registration stickers.
With personalized license plates, your vehicle will stand out from the pack in a subtle, but fun way. There’s no better way to say something about yourself on your car than with a personalized Alaska license plate.