Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls

How to Renew Your Car Registration in Texas

registration Texas

There are a number of things that a person will have to do when trying to move to Texas. In order to make sure that your car is safe and legal to drive, you will need to take the time to register it with the DMV in Texas. Just like other states, Texas will take the money that it receives from these fees and will use them to keep the roads in good shape. You will have to make sure that this registration is renewed every year. The Texas DMV will send you notice with all of the information you will need to handle this process. This is what you need to do when trying to renew your registration.

Going online to handle the renewal

Using the internet to handle things like this will allow you to get this process done without having to leave your home. Here is what you will need to do when trying to get this done online:

  • Go to the Texas DMV website.
  • Enter your license plate number
  • Put in the last four numbers of your VIN
  • Provide proof of insurance
  • Pay your fees

In person or by mail

You can perform this renewal in person by going to your county tax office. The following is what you will need to take with you to get this process done:

  • Take in the notice you received in the mail
  • Have your insurance policy handy
  • Pay the fees that you have

If you want to renew by mail, put this information in an envelope and mail it to the county tax office where you live.

The fees for Texas registration renewal

The following are the fees you will have to pay to get your registration renewed:

  • Cars and light trucks will cost $50.75 to renew
  • Larger trucks will cost $54 to renew

Be sure to visit the Texas DMV website to find out more information on what has to be done to register a vehicle. The more you can find out about this process, the easier you will find it to get the right results.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

The Traveler’s Guide to Driving in Malaysia
CraigBurrows / Malaysia is a popular destination for many tourists today. The country has amazing sights and attractions that you will want to explore....
Auto Safety Tips
Driving is more than a way to get from point A to point B. Owning and driving a car can also be a highly enjoyable experience. Whether a person is driving...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...

Related questions

Q: Antique vs custom built registration.

This is something you will need to check with the NC department of motor vehicles. Unfortunately, we are not authorized to give information regarding the legal registration of vehicles.

Q: One of my running lights is out can I still pass Texas state inspection?

The law states that the lights on a vehicle are to work at all times. However, running daytime lights are designed to come on when the visibility is lower than 65% outside. This is a feature to the vehicle so...

Q: Expired registration and inspection

Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...