How to Register a Car in Vermont

If you are looking to get a new start, then moving to a new state is your best bet. Vermont is one of the most peaceful and serene states in the country. If you are planning a move to this great state, then you will have to take the time to figure out what you need to do to be in compliance with the laws of the state. Getting your car registered is one of the first things you need to do. You have 60 days from the time that you move to Vermont to get your car registered in order to avoid a late fee. Going to the DMV in person is the only way you will be able to get the car registered. The following are some of the things that you will need to bring with you to get your car registered:

  • Proof of car insurance
  • A completed copy of the Registration/Tax/Title Application
  • A current odometer
  • The car’s title with your name on it
  • The record of the amount of tax you have paid
  • The VIN of the car

In most cases, residents of Vermont who buy a car from a dealership will not have to worry about handling the registration on their own. Usually the dealership that you are purchasing the car from will make sure that the car gets registered. If you are letting the dealership handle the registration of your vehicle, be sure to get all of the paperwork so that you will not have problems getting a license plate.

When buying a car from a private seller, you will need to take the following things into the DMV in order to get your registration:

  • Proof that you have car insurance
  • A completed Registration/Tax/Title Application
  • A bill of sale
  • If the car is new, then you will need the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin

When getting your car registered, here are the fees that you will have to pay:

  • Passenger vehicles can be registered for one year for $70 or two years for $129
  • Electric vehicles can be registered for one year for $69 or two years for $127
  • A motorcycle can be registered for one year for $44 or two years for $88

Before you are able to get your car registered in Vermont, you will need to get a safety inspection. For more information on this process, be sure to visit the Vermont DMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Insurance Requirements for Car Registration in Vermont
The The state of Vermont requires that all drivers carry a minimum amount of liability insurance, or “financial responsibility,” in order to cover the costs associated with a car accident. This is required to legally register and operate a vehicle...
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Vermont
If If you are on active duty, or if you are a veteran living in, working in, or originally from Vermont, you should get a better understanding of the laws and benefits and how they apply to you. The following...
How to Renew Your Car Registration in All States
In the United States, it is illegal to drive an unregistered vehicle out in public. Be sure you know the car registration laws in your state.

Related questions

Key stuck in ignition
The key is binding possibly because the ignition is binding or the shift interlock has a problem. The vehicle will need diagnosed for ignition switch, linkage or the shift interlock problem. I recommend you have a mechanic, like ones from...
Expired registration and inspection
Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...
Would cold temperatures make my service all wheel drive system warning come on? 2012 GMC Terrain
Hi there - while a big drop in temperatures shouldn't cause a service light per se, cold temperatures DO have an effect on electrical connections (, and a connection problem may be the case here. You need the actual problem...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·