Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls

How to Register a Car in South Dakota

registration south dakota

One of the most rewarding and stressful situations that a person can go through is moving. If you are planning a move to the South Dakota area, then you need to make sure you take steps to comply with all of their laws. When moving to South Dakota, you will have to make sure that you get your car registered. The only way that you will be able to do this is by going in person to the local DMV. You need to make sure that you get your car registered no longer than 90 days after you move to South Dakota to avoid any problems. Here is what you have to bring with you to ensure that the registration process is successful:

  • The Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration
  • Your current title from the state you have moved from
  • The payment for registration fees
  • Proof that you have the car insured with a South Dakota insurance agency
  • If your car is less than seven years old, you will need a Salvage, Recovered Theft and Uniform Damage Disclosure form

If you already a resident of South Dakota and are buying a car from a dealership, you will not have to worry about getting the vehicle registered on your own. Usually, the dealership that you buy from will handle the registration process. You have to get copies of the documents involving the registration so that you can get a license plate for the vehicle.

For South Dakota residents that are buying a vehicle from a private seller, going into the DMV to get it registered is essential. You will need to bring along the following paperwork when getting your vehicle registered:

  • The Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration
  • If the vehicle is less than seven years old, then you will need a Salvage, Recovered Theft and Uniform Damage Disclosure form
  • The title of the vehicle with your name on it
  • The payment for the applicable registration fees

The fees that you will have to pay are as follows:

  • Non-commercial vehicles that are below nine years old will cost $75.60 to register
  • Non-commercial vehicles that are older than nine years will cost $50.40 to register
  • Motorcycles that are below nine years old will cost $18 to register
  • Motorcycles that are older than nine years will cost $12.60 to register

The only thing that you need to have before you go and register your car is a valid insurance policy. If you need more information on this process, then be sure to visit the South Dakota DMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

P2422 OBD-II Trouble Code: Evaporative Emissions Control System (EVAP) Vent Valve Stuck Closed
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC): P2422 P2422 code definition Evaporative Emissions Control System (EVAP)...
Auto Safety Tips
Driving is more than a way to get from point A to point B. Owning and driving a car can also be a highly enjoyable experience. Whether a person is driving...
P2428 OBD-II Trouble Code: Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High Bank 1
P2428 code definition A P2428 trouble code signifies that the PCM has detected a problem in the exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit in bank 1, which subsequently contains the number one...

Related questions

Q: Expired registration and inspection

Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...

Q: Antique vs custom built registration.

This is something you will need to check with the NC department of motor vehicles. Unfortunately, we are not authorized to give information regarding the legal registration of vehicles.

Q: I had a shop from http://BMWmechanicBoca.Com tell me that I may need a battery registered for my BMW

Hello, thank you for writing in. Typically when you are prompted to register a new part or accessory, you are doing so for the warranty. This is a process of contacting the company and letting them know that you have...