Q: installed a stereo but blew a fuse going to the lights on my dash board gauges (speedometer, gas gauge, rpm, etc).

as i was installing a stereo i may have short-circuited/blown a fuse because the light on my dash board gauges (speedometer, gas gauge, rpm, etc) do no light up anymore. i would like to know which fuse would be blown or how i would go about fixing it. now i heard fuses can be your friend but I'm pretty sure my dashboard fuse runs through my tail lights so if those aren't working i don't wanting to be driving my vehicle and would therefore like a fix asap. there is a fuse box in the engine compartment and one by the brakes.

A: The best thing to do is check all the fuses...

The best thing to do is check all the fuses. It is entirely possible you have blown more than one fuse as well some fuses supply power to other fuses. I rarely look up the location of a fuse in an information system as this sort of information has a high rate of inaccuracy. Most vehicles will have a panel that labels each fuse anyhow. This will always be far more accurate. If you find any blown fuses, no matter what they power, replace them.

The best way to test a fuse is with a test light. This will enable you to check them all quickly. Spade style fuses have metal exposed on the back side that you can quickly test them without removing them one at a time.

Often times, fuses will power multiple systems. If you suspect the tail lights are not working, simply test them. If you should replace the fuses and it blows again, disconnect the stereo and see if the problem persists. Definitely double check the supplied wiring diagram with the stereo and I strongly suggest getting a hold of a factory diagram for your car so you can make sure you are indeed connecting to the correct circuits.

If you should need further assistance, I recommend having an expert inspect the electrical system for you in order to pinpoint the right fix.