Q: I have a 98 Blazer (4x4); it will not start unless I smack/hit the gas tank. Already replaced fuel filter.

I have a 98 Blazer (4 wheel Drive) and it will not start unless I hit the gas tank (with my hand). I have replaced the fuel filter. A few people told me it could be the fuel pump but I am just looking for other opinions please. Thank you.

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1998 Chevrolet Blazer. It sounds like you may have a problem with the fuel pump. Sometimes when they wear out, they develop a dead spot. By hitting the tank, it jolts the fuel pump and allows it to operate. If you'd like this checked for you, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to determine the exact cause of the starting issue and can replace the fuel pump if necessary.