Q: Won't start, door handles replaced

My car won't start and the accessories light came on the dashboard. This started happening after I had the door handles replaced. My battery and ignition are in good shape, and I have a brand new starter, too. Do you know what might be wrong? And how can I fix this?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1996 BMW 328is. It’s possible that the door handle replacement caused issues with the anti-theft system. The driver’s door handle switch is one of the inputs to the anti-theft control module. This information is shared with the immobilizer control module and engine control module over the communication bus to prevent break in and vehicle theft.

Regardless of whether or not the door handle replacement is to blame, it sounds like the problem is in the anti-theft system. A professional will be able to diagnose and repair your vehicle after visual inspection of the-no start. I suggest you give the team at YourMechanic a call, since we make house calls and can save you a tow bill.