Q: Won't start cranks over - 1983 Mercedes Benz 500SL

My car sat in the garage for 2 years, so I decided to try and drive it. I put gas in it and a new battery. I got in to start it, turned the key it cranked over, but it won’t activate. I checked to see if it sparked, and it’s getting a good spark with full pressure to the nozzle. I cracked one of the nozzles, and it sprayed all over the place. I did a compression check and all the cylinders were good. When I checked my oil level the other day it was twice as high as it should be. Gas got down into the crankcase. So I changed the oil and tried starting the car again. It activated one time but that’s all. I tried starting it a few more times, but it wouldn’t even activate. Could you please help me figure out what’s wrong with my car?

Gasoline in the crankcase can be a big problem. It washes everything dry of lubrication and can cause damage. Hook the battery up to a charger and change the oil again. Pull all of the spark plugs to see if they are wet or fouled with oil and gasoline on them. For a more in-depth inspection, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting issue.

3. Won't start cranks over - 1983 Mercedes Benz 500SL