Q: Won't start auxilary power

My check engine light came on a while ago. And my car periodically stalls - mostly when it rains. One time when I was using auxiliary power there was a clicking noise, and then the power went off. Then it came back on. But now the car won’t start at all. It won’t turn over when trying to start it. I never had a problem with the starter and my battery is in great shape. Do you have any idea what's wrong? How can this be fixed?

A: Hello. There are several possibilities for ...

Hello. There are several possibilities for what is causing the problem that you are having. There could be a problem with the camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor. These sensors read the position of the camshaft and crankshaft in order to communicate with the powertrain control module (PCM) about proper engine timing. If they are not working properly, the PCM won’t know the proper engine timing and this may prevent the car from starting.

It is also possible that there is a problem with the coolant temperature sensor. If the coolant temperature sensor is giving a false reading this may cause the PCM to give the wrong amount of fuel at startup or when the car is running. This may prevent the car from starting or create a stalling condition.

I would recommend that you start by having the Check Engine Light checked a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who can pinpoint the problem and make the necessary repair.