Q: Will only start if you put gas in the throttle body

asked by on July 20, 2016

My 97 s10 will run great but you have to put gas in the throttle body for it to start.It will turn over but needs the direct contact of gas. There is also this ticking noise that is only heard when you role the key over.

Fuel Pump Replacement $129.49 - $1234.40 Get a Quote
Fuel Injector Replacement $383.27 - $3870.61 Get a Quote
Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The engine fuel injection on these engine have to have enough fuel pressure to pop the injectors open to get it to start. The system injectors are known to get clogged and stick when cold also.

You would first need to check fuel pressure to make sure it is high enough, and replace the fuel pump if it is not. Then once the proper fuel pressure is achieved, clean the injection system. This may fix the hard start and if not, then the fuel injection spider would need replaced. If you want to have this inspected before moving forward with a repair, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the hard start and let you know what needs to be done.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr