Q: Will a duramax fit in my truck?

I have a 2004 gmc sierra 1500 with the 5.3 vortec. I have a friend that's willing to give me his old truck that's a 3500 with the 6.6 duramax. The body is wrecked on the donor truck but everything else is fine. What would have to be done to swap the 6.6 into the truck with the 5.3?

This is not a simple swap. There are several things that would have to be modified for this to work. The motor itself is an entirely different motor than the 5.3 Vortec that your truck would have come with and is much heavier which will require modification to the front suspension. The transmission in your truck will also need to be changed as it is not equipped to handle the torque of the Duramax motor.

I would not recommend performing this swap as it will likely cause a significant amount of headache and cost. If you decide to go through with it and need assistance with any repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to service the vehicle.

3. Will a duramax fit in my truck?