Q: Why would the ABS light be on if the ABS module does not see a problem or set a code?

asked by on December 22, 2016

I just looked at the abs and the module does not have any codes but the abs light is on and we can't get it to reset where do we start our trouble shooting

ABS Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there:

If the ABS warning light comes on while you are driving, it means the ABS is not working properly. Your normal brakes will work, but the anti-lock brakes will not. If the light remains on, you need to have a mechanic diagnose the ABS Light issue as soon as possible. Since the ABS helps with vehicle control and stopping distances, it is an important safety feature of your vehicle.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Typically the ABS light illuminates when the system is not currently working. This does not mean that the system is simply not activated, but that there is a lack of power to the system and it will not respond if needed. The codes may not set because the component which has failed is not directly monitored. At this point you will want to do a general inspection of the vehicle and its brakes. The wheels may be having an issue, and it is appropriate to check the hubs for excess play. If the vehicle’s wheels and suspension are in good condition, you will want to turn your attention to the brakes and the electronics. Check for any obvious damages to the system. You may have a sensor that is out, and with no codes being set you would have to test those manually with a multi-meter. For more help with the electrical testing, contact our service department to set up an appointment or get a quote.