Q: Why is it running hot? 1999 Mitsubishi Galant

asked by on February 23, 2017

i have a 1999 mitsuibishi galant and it recently started running hot and i hear a hissing sound coming from around the engine area. I put water in it but sometime the water starts to come back out as it the car is rejecting it. The fan does cut on but the car still runs hot after driving for about 10 minutes. I can see smoke coming from around the engine but not from the engine itself.

Hello - it sounds like you may be experiencing a blown head gasket, or the radiator is clogged. Given that the radiator cooling fan is coming on, the thermostat, appears to be opening and the water pump is transferring hot water to the radiator (both as they should) - the radiator is not handling the heat load. I recommend an overheating inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.