Q: 2004 Subaru Forester won't start

My SUV is having trouble starting and staying on when stopped at red lights. The only way I can keep it from quitting when I'm at a stop light is to hold down both pedals together. It doesn't happen all the time, but becoming more and more frequent. What will fix this?

A: Hi there. This is a very common issue on th...

Hi there. This is a very common issue on this vehicle. It is typically caused by a bad throttle body. The throttle body motor is a common failure on this vehicle causing the throttle to stop working correctly, and therefore not idle correctly. I typically will try to clean the throttle body first to see if it helps, but it typically will need to be replaced. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and make any necessary repairs.