Q: Why Does My 1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Keep Overheating I Changed The Gas Manifold Intake And New Thermostat

asked by on February 12, 2018

One Day While I Was Traveling From Work My Car Overheated And My Battery Died I Towed It Home And Put it On The Battery Charger All Night Then I Woke Up The Next Morning And Put Anifrezze It Then I Drove It 5 Miles Away From House Then The Gauge Went Up And It Started Overheating then I got it back home and checked everything then found out my gas manifold intake needed to be changed so i did that then put a new thermostat because my heat quick working a couple weeks ago and put everything back together and drained the heater coil and put Anifrezze in it and started it it fired right up no problem I turned the heat on and it was blasting I let it run with the heat for 30 mins to see if it was gonna over and it did not so I tried to get it out of my garage to test drive and as soon as I got halfway through the drive my temp gauge started rise and it started to smoke what could be the problem now?

If the smoking is a bit of a white or steam colored smoke, this may indicate a leaking or damaged cylinder head gasket. cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. You may also notice a slight bit of steam like smoke being produced from the exhaust as a result of the coolant being burnt inside the combustion chamber along with the fuel charge. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.