Q: Why did my car have to sit and idle in the shop for 2.5 hrs?

I put my car in the shop (Mercedes-Benz delearship service) today and had the following work done: REPLACE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SENSOR. When I dropped the car off in the morning, the elapsed time clock read 0:30 (thirty minutes running time). As you know, this clock resets itself to zero after four hours of non-operation. When I picked the car up this afternoon, the elapsed time clock read 3:05 (three hours and 5 minutes). Why did my car have to sit and idle for 2.5 hours to replace this sensor?

Thanks...

Tom

Hi there:

To be completely honest, we can’t tell you the exact reason why this occurred at the Mercedes-Benz shop. In some cases, a technician will complete a diagnostic check which will require the engine to be running for a brief period of time. It’s also customary for a mechanic to test drive a vehicle before and after repairs have been made. The best way to know for certain is to contact the repair shop and ask them why they had to operate your vehicle for 2.5 hours.