Q: Whole car pulls on acceleration

My 2011 Toyota Highlander is still very new and has barely over 16,000 miles on it. It pulls pretty hard to one side when I accelerate. I am used to feeling this steering issue in cheap little hatchbacks, but this is a fairly expensive and new SUV. What do I do about this? Is it a lemon?

Torque steer is very common in front wheel drive vehicles, generally due to the unequal length of the half-shafts. However, If the vehicle is equipped with electric power steering, this condition could be considered “normal.” If the steering angle sensor is not properly calibrated, it could cause a wander or pull. The local Toyota dealer should be contacted, as this may be a warranty concern. The dealer will likely check for steering related computer codes and may also check the suspension alignment. While you’re at the dealer, ask to test drive a new Highlander and see if the same concern happens. If it does, then it is likely an issue common to all Highlanders. If not, there is likely something amiss with your vehicle.

3. Whole car pulls on acceleration