Q: White smoke billows out of exhaust pipe

Smoke comes out of the exhaust when I start my car in the mornings or after it has been parked for a while. It is a cloud of white smoke that billows out the exhaust pipe and then it stops. There are no problems with the lights on the dashboard - no warning lights. I recently had the oil changed, but that did not solve the smoke problem. What is your assessment of this and what can be done to fix it?

A: Hey there. White exhaust smoke is generally...

Hey there. White exhaust smoke is generally indicative of a blown head gasket or other conditions where water or water vapor is getting into the engine. Higher mileage vehicles are especially prone to this potential problem. Have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your engine to pinpoint the issue.