Q: Whining sound - possible rear differential problem?

My car makes a whining sound when I accelerate and an air-brake sound when I decelerate. Through my online research, I am assuming that this is a problem with the rear differential. Can I say with certainty that the problem is the rear diff?

Hi there:

You would be correct to assume that this noise may be caused by damage to the differential. It may be as simple as needing to change rear differential fluid or perhaps a worn down axle or other internal component causing this sound. To be certain, I’d recommend having one of our local mechanics completing a car is making a noise inspection which will allow them to test drive and diagnose the source of your problems, so the correct repairs can be made.

3. Whining sound - possible rear differential problem?