Q: Whining sound accelerating

Whenever I'm driving my car and I accelerate I get a low whining sound. My oil separator was just replaced, and my Check Engine light doesn’t come on. When I hook up the obd2 tester everything looks good except for the INC on the catalyst monitor. I never had a Volvo before so I’m not sure if the whining sound is normal. Do you know what the whining sound is from?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2007 Volvo V50. On vehicles similar to yours, a whining or whistling noise coming from the engine can be the result of a malfunction in the positive crankcase ventilation system. When the diaphragm for the crankcase pressure regulator fails, this noise can occur. Have the vehicle looked over - especially the previous work done. If you would like to have this checked by an expert, a certified professional, such as one from YourMechanic can diagnose the noise for you and determine what should be done.