Q: Whining sound accelerating

Whenever I'm driving my car and I accelerate I get a low whining sound. My oil separator was just replaced, and my Check Engine light doesn’t come on. When I hook up the obd2 tester everything looks good except for the INC on the catalyst monitor. I never had a Volvo before so I’m not sure if the whining sound is normal. Do you know what the whining sound is from?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2007 Volvo V50. On vehicles similar to yours, a whining or whistling noise coming from the engine can be the result of a malfunction in the positive crankcase ventilation system. When the diaphragm for the crankcase pressure regulator fails, this noise can occur. Have the vehicle looked over - especially the previous work done. If you would like to have this checked by an expert, a certified professional, such as one from YourMechanic can diagnose the noise for you and determine what should be done.

3. Whining sound accelerating