Q: Diffference between driver side and passanger side cv axle - 2001 ford escort zx2?

I've watched youtube video's of guys changing CV axles, and the most detailed ones always show changing the driver's side axle. When I look under the frame of my 2001 ford escort zx2 on the passenger side it appears completely different in that it appears to connect to a rod that then connects to the transmission and from a short youtube video where a guy was removing it it appears that that axle has a female end on it??? Is that right?

A: The drivers side axle will have a male end ...

The drivers side axle will have a male end on the CV joint with a retainer clip that goes into the transaxle. The passenger side has a female end on the inner CV joint. Both axles outer CV joints have male ends. In order to remove the passenger side axle you will need to remove the three center axle bearing support shaft and remove the entire axle and inner shaft. Separate the inner shaft and the inner CV joint by clamping the inner shaft in a vice and driving off inner CV joint. You can then install the new CV axle to the inner shaft and reinstall complete axle into the vehicle and secure three carrier bearing bolts. Just a note to only remove one axle at a time from the transaxle or damage internal to transaxle carrier bearings.